This fun and bright Strawberry Angel Food Dessert will be a perfect dessert for your next party!
I stumbled upon this recipe for Strawberry Angel Food Dessert in the batch of cookbooks I found at an estate sale recently. There has been a few in this batch that really have fun and unique recipes that I’ve never came across. This Strawberry Angel Food Cake dessert has jello in it, but it’s a subtle flavor after the whipped cream is stirred into it.
I had forgotten about angel food cake box mix until I was at a party a few weeks ago and a friend brought it sliced up along with strawberry shortcake toppings. The box mix tastes just as good as homemade and so easy – just add water!
When I got home with the ingredients to make this, I looked at the back of the angel food cake mix. And there was a VERY similar dessert on the box. Here is the link to Duncun Hines version of this. Even after I saw the recipe on the box, I still used the recipe I found in my cookbook. The cookbook recipe that I followed has freshly whipped cream in it instead of cool whip, how can you top that?!
The strawberry mixture is sliced strawberries, 2 small boxes of strawberry jello, hot water and a cup of sugar. You may be thinking why add a cup of sugar? This is to sweeten the strawberries and the unsweetened whipped cream.
The strawberry jello mixture needs to be cooled down a bit before adding the whipped cream, other wise it will just melt and why did we just whip it to let it melt. I let my jello mixture refrigerate for 40 minutes before adding the whipped cream.
The dessert is layered by adding half of the cubed angel food cake, half of the strawberry mixture, then repeat.
This get chilled for at least 3 hours before serving.
You can make this the night before if desired, the extra chilling is fine!
Now it’s time to cut and serve this. Since we used the jello, this dessert has set up very nicely.
I like to make this in a clear pan so you can see the angel food cake cubes and all that beautiful strawberries color.
Top this dessert with a few extra sliced strawberries if desired. I already have another angel food cake dessert recipe in mind to make so stay tuned. I hope you are enjoying the recipes here on Vintage Recipe Tin. Have a great week!
Strawberry Angel Food Dessert
- 16 oz. Duncun Hines angel food cake mix, prepared (or 1 store bought, already made angel food cake)
- 3 cups strawberries, stems removed and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 oz. strawberry jello (2 small boxes)
- 2 cups hot water
- 16 oz. heavy whipping cream
- additional strawberries for garnish if desired.
- Bake and cool angel food cake or buy a prepared one. This mix can be done in a 9 x 13 pan if you do not have a tube pan, just be sure NOT to grease the pan with whichever pan you use.
- Let the cake cool for at least and hour and a half. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- In a large bowl add the sliced strawberries, sugar, strawberry jello and hot water. Stir until jello is dissolved. Let this cool in the fridge until syrupy or not longer warm, mine took about 40 minutes.
- In another large bowl add the whipping cream. Using a hand mixer, beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add the whipped cream into the jello mixture and gently fold it in. Keep mixing very gently until a uniform color forms.
- In a 9 x 13 pan add half of the cubed angel food cake. Then pour and spread over half of the jello mixture. Then add the remaining angel food cake and the remaining jello mixture.
- Chill for at least 3 hours or overnight. Cut into squares and serve!