What could be more comforting than a Tuna Noodle Casserole?
When I first was married I had no idea that people made homemade tuna noodle casserole, we only had tuna helper! I discovered this recipe on the internet years ago and haven’t made much tuna helper since. I can not find the original recipe anymore online, so I put together what I can remember here. I LOVE the French fried onions on this, you can leave them out or put them on just part of it if part of your family does not like.
This recipe starts with a bag of egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, tuna, sour cream, onion powder, pepper and peas. Then I top it with peas.
After that bakes for 25 minutes I add French fried onions. Then bake for 10 minutes more.
My entire family loves this though my husband says too many peas and my I have to scoop it up for my daughter without the onions. It’s a real winner and we love the leftovers the next day. I hope you give this a try.
Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 12 oz. egg noodles
- 21.5 oz. cream of mushroom soup, do not add water (2 cans)
- 10 oz. tuna in water, drained very well (2 small cans)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1.5 cups medium cheddar cheese
- 6 oz. french fried onions (don't add until the last 10 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Start a large pot of water on the stove top over medium high heat. Cook the noodles according to package directions and do not let them cook any further, have the next steps ingredients ready.
- Drain the noodles and put them back in the pan. Add the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, onion powder, pepper and peas. Stir.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray. Pour the noodle mixture into the pan and spread out. Sprinkle over the cheese. (Wait to add the French fried onions)
- Place the casserole uncovered into the oven on the center rack. Cook for 25 minutes. Remove casserole from oven and sprinkle over the French fried onions. Place the casserole back in the oven and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Serve and enjoy.
How to Video:
You may also like: Soda Cracker Toffee