Make this Pumpkin Pie Play Dough Recipe for a fun craft for the kids. Scented with pumpkin spice mix and has added orange glitter.
My daughter loves to help me make playdough. We make it only a few times a year since it makes such a big batch. We usually make playdough for parties so she and her friends have something fun to do while the adults socialize.
How to make pumpkin pie play dough:
You will need these ingredients:
- All-purpose white flour
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Cream of tartar
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Orange glitter
- Orange food coloring
- (full recipe below photos)
- Add the flour, salt, pumpkin spice, cream of tartar and glitter to a large pan.
- Stir those dry ingredients together.
- Add the oil, water and food coloring, stir until smooth.
- Turn the pan onto medium heat. Keep stirring the playdough, you do not want it to burn or stick to the pan.
- After about 7 minutes of cooking the playdough will start to thicken and darken. Do not over cook and do not let it start to scorch.
- Remove from heat and have a floured surface ready.
- Place the dough on the floured counter top.
- I let the playdough sit for a few minutes before kneading as it can be hot. Knead for a minute or until the desired texture is achieved.
My playdough is too dry?
- Add a touch of oil, about a teaspoon at a time and knead until it stops cracking.
My playdough is too wet?
- If your playdough is too wet continue cooking.
- Or add
a moreflour, a teaspoon at a time and knead again.
What else can I put with the playdough to make it fun for kids?
- Cookie cutters
- Mini pie tins
- rolling pins
- Any type of toy that you have from Play-Doh kits works too!
How long does homemade playdough last?
- Cool the playdough completely before storing it. If put away hot it will create moisture in the storage containers and will mold faster.
- Place cooled playdough in ziplock bags or jars with lids.
- We keep our homemade playdough for 2 weeks. It can and will mold, it depends on the weather and moisture in the air.
- To make it last longer you can store the playdough in the fridge.
My other go-to playdough recipes we love making:
Pumpkin Pie Playdough Recipe
- 5½ cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 cups salt
- 2 Tbsp. cream of tartar
- 3 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice or see notes if you don't have pumpkin spice
- ¾ cup oil
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup orange glitter
- orange food coloring, gel or liquid (or red and yellow dye, mixed together)
- Add the flour, salt, cream of tarter, pumpkin spice, and glitter to a large pan. Stir.
- Add the oil, water and food coloring. Stir. I dipped a toothpick in my gel food coloring twice and add it to the mix. You can add the food coloring slow and see how the color looks.
- Set the pan over medium heat on the stove top. Keep stirring the dough. Mine took 7 minutes to form in to a thick playdough. You will know when it is ready when it starts to darken. Keep stirring and turn down the heat if it seems to start sticking.
- Remove from heat quickly and dump the dough onto a floured counter top.
- Let the playdough cool down enough that you can handle it, about 5 minutes.
- Start kneading the dough until it is smooth. (This will only take a minute or two).
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap until cooled down. Then divide and transfer into little baggies or containers. Do not store warm for it will get wet from the sweat.
- I store mine for 2 weeks, though it will last longer if you place in the fridge.
Adapted from Crystal & Co. Pumpkin Pie Playdough Recipe