Pina Colada Cupcakes (alcohol-free) are a delicious and tropical dessert that is perfect for any occasion. They are light, fluffy, and sweet with a Pina Colada taste that will have you coming back for more!
We are always entertaining in the summer. Another summer dessert we love to make is no-bake cherry limeade pie!
Why this recipe works
If you’re looking for a tasty summertime treat, then look no further than this because these cupcakes will not disappoint.
- Pina Colada Cupcakes are a delicious and refreshing treat that is perfect for the summertime! Pina Coladas are usually made with rum, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut.
- Our cupcake recipe is quick and easy to make and will have the taste of all those delicious flavors (without alcohol) and ingredients incorporated into one dessert to make the perfect Pina Colada in a cupcake form.
How to make pina colada cupcakes
- Boxed cake mix – white or yellow cake mix works. I use the Betty Crocker brand, but the Duncan Hines cake mixes are great too.
- Vegetable oil – can use melted butter if desired
- Crushed pineapple – For a Pina colada flavor add one can of crushed pineapple to your batter. You’ll need to drain it first because you don’t want too much juice running into your cupcake pan and make everything soggy
- Butter– I use salted butter at room temperature
- Coconut extract – you can find this at most grocery stores
- Powdered sugar
- Milk– You can use Pina Colada cocktail mix to this frosting in leu of milk
- Coconut flakes
- Maraschino cherries
Homemade Pina Coloda Frosting
This is my favorite frosting because it has that decadent buttercream flavor with a hint of coconut flavor mixed in. You can also substitute any other fruit or extract into this recipe for variation (I’ve had blackberry pina Coladas before and those were delicious!)
How to serve
- These cupcakes are best served chilled, so if you’re using Pina colada frosting I recommend putting them in the fridge as soon as they have cooled and been topped with frostin for the cool pina coloda flavor!
- Ice cream is also great with these cupcakes.
- The cupcakes will last about 3 days in the fridge. Best if you can find a large container with a lid to store them in so they won’t take on other flavors from the fridge.
- There are many variations that can be made to customize the recipe to your liking. You could use different cake mixes, such as a strawberry or lemon cake mix for variety!
- Or you could change up your frosting by using different flavor extract instead of coconut extract in order to surprise yourself and create new Pina Coladas flavors like strawberry, mango or banana (sounds divine!).
More pineapple recipes:
Creamy Pina Colada Cupcakes with pineapple and coconut are the perfect summertime dessert! These cupcakes will leave you feeling refreshed and will be a hit at any party.
Pina Colada Cupcakes
- 16.25 oz. white or yellow cake mix (I use betty crocker)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 20 oz. can crushed pineapple drained
- 1/2 cup salted butter room temperature
- 2 tsp. coconut extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp. milk Optional: you can use pina colada cocktail mix to this frosting in leu of milk
- Coconut flakes
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cake batter per box instructions. Fold drained pineapple into batter.
- Scoop 2 – 3 Tablespoons of cake batter into lined cupcake pan, or fill each cup 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 14 – 19 minutes, per box instructions.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes, until cool enough to remove from pan, rest them to finish cooling on a cooling rack until room temperature.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add butter and coconut extract. Mix with electric hand mixer until combined.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until incorporated with the butter.
- Add in milk, be sure to scrap sides and bottom of the bowl frequently, until all ingredients are combined in a creamy, buttercream texture. *Add additional milk as needed one teaspoon at a time.
- Pipe or spread frosting.
- Roll in coconut flakes and/or top with a cherry.